With progress towards gender equality under threat as a result of COVID-19, HeForShe responded with #HeForSheConversations, a series of webinars focused on solutions for gender equality. The first conversation focused on the impact of COVID-19 on masculinities and how different actors have engaged men to play a positive role as partners and parents.
November 13, 2020 – Earlier this year HeForShe launched #HeForSheConversations focused on sharing solutions for gender equality. Drawing from experts across the world, this first conversation of the series focused on how different actors have engaged men to cope with the impact of the pandemic and encouraged men to play a positive role as partners and parents.
The session highlighted the stories of men, and demonstrated through fostering collective action, how positive changes in the division of household labour have occurred with men carrying out more domestic tasks and looking after children.
Key outcomes included understanding the importance of engaging men in a way that is relatable and relevant to their current circumstance, clearly identifying tangible ways men can support changing the gendered landscape and instilling amongst men a sense of responsibility and accountability in amplifying this message.
Speakers included individuals from HeForShe, UN Women, and partners drawn from CSO and government from 6 regions across the world:
- Bafana Khumalo, MenEngage, South Africa
- Edward Wageni, Head of HeForShe Initiative
- Hadeel Abdo, UN Women Arab States
- Kennedy Otina, FEMNET
- Mohammad Naciri, UN Women Regional Director for Asia and the Pacific
- Pamela Mkwamba, UN Women Malawi
- Peter Mancha & Angela Muruli, UN Women Nigeria
- Başak Tuğsavul, ACEV, Turkey
- Ebru Tuzecan, Koç Holding & Zeliha Unaldi, UN Women Turkey
- Jacqueline Nzisabira, UN Women ESARO
- Nick Quigley, HeForShe Portfolio Management Advisor
- Phuong Le Thi Lan and Thao Hoang, UN Women Vietnam
- Robert Mafinyori, HeForShe Taverns South Africa
- Rodrigo Montero, UN Women Arab States
This outcome report outlines policy recommendations and practical actions in communications, advocacy, and decision making. Download the full report here: Impact of COVID-19 on Masculinities